With the proliferation of suppliers of power section providers, it has become increasingly difficult to choose a power section. The Drilex power sections provide a much broader operating range with regard to flow rate, bit pressure drop, operating torque, and weight-on-bit capability. This increased range allows users to optimize other drilling performance factors such as annular velocities, bit pressure drop, and weight on bit without the concern of operational limitations of most other typical power sections.
Below are a few advantages the Drilex power section has over other power section on the market today:
- Broader Flow Rate Ranges
- Provides fine tuning of annular velocities and better hole cleaning capability.
- Allows the optimization of bit hydraulics, particularly with respect to the high hydraulic horsepower required at the bit face of modern polycrystalline diamond compact (PDC) bits.
- Increased Output Power and Torque
- Generates higher differential pressures
- Allows increased weight on bit (WOB)
- Reduces stalling with aggressive PDC bits.
- Provides the torque required to drill with larger assemblies below the motor such as
under-reamers, large diameter bits, hole openers, and core barrels.
- More available torque to overcome lateral and offset stabilization.
- Optimized Rotor / Stator Design
- Rotational speed is approximately proportional to flow rate.
- Output torque is proportional to differential pressure at a constant flow rate.
- The higher multi-lobe configuration greatly reduces the eccentric motion of the rotor resulting in smoother running power sections. This helps reduce interference with measurement-while-drilling (MWD) signal transmission.
- Precision profile manufacturing requiring no post-machine sanding or polishing.
- Shorter overall lengths allow more rapid build rate angles in directional applications.